Thanks for the replies. I think the place value idea is correct, but the answer itself is technically correct.

Ironically with all of the problems on the homework sheet (homework being for reinforcement?), none of them are these types of question/answers...it is all about > < = , ordering, writing word names... You'd think she'd get reinforcement for the incorrect/misunderstood type question instead.

I always tread very lightly with the teacher. It's the same one as last year since they loop. I have to sign the spelling tests and there is always one or more errors with the grading...either words DD spelled wrong marked correct or visa versa. Last year the first time it happened I signed one but w/ understanding in a little note that I discussed w/ DD the words spelled wrong marked "correct" or spelled correctly and marked "incorrect". But the teacher got snippy, so after that I just signed no matter what with no comment(I thought the teacher would be more careful after that but she wasn't and just make a copy, put them aside, and go over them with DD sometime after the fact so she won't think correctly spelled words are wrong and visa versa).

Teacher's spelling is not great over all with communication. "flexable" "minuet" (minute) "finial" (final) It's just disappointing since 3rd/4th grade are so important for these skills and I'd think setting a good example is a crucial piece.