Originally Posted by Iucounu
DS7 has also been chafing at the super-simple science lessons that have only really begun this year (third). I've responded to that by getting him science stuff to work on at home. I guess in that instance I'm afterschooling, but there's no other option but to let the school slowly dull his interests.

With math, he shows the ability to do approximately a year's worth of normal skills learning in a month or less (not even studying every day either), learns concepts pretty much instantly or within minutes, and he does ask for it if I let it go for too long (which now it has been, by well over half a year since the last lesson). To let his skills go without use or development because the school isn't teaching him any math is doing him a disservice.

I don't actually think school could dull DS interests in science and reading and math provided there are still books! But what I see instead are potental attitude issues - that it's not even science what is beng done, and disappointment in his science teacher. He and I discussed advocacy and whether he should talk to his primary teacher and he didn't want to, his instincts I think correctly realizing the science teacher might get upset. But more worrisome I think DS is wondering whether the science teacher knows as much as he does! Thinking about doing some advocacy for everyone - sort of along the lines of, they move much faster in reading in math, why not in science. Maybe bringing in some specials,or scientist parents. Something!

DeHe