What do you think they should be doing in 4th grade, just out of curiosity? That doesn't sound terribly different than what DD's 4th grade curriculum (she is in 3rd) looks like, from a brief flip-through, though I know they started out spending a fair bit of time on place value to the hundred millions (this actually tripped up DD--things like "how many ten thousands are in a hundred million" had not been covered for her before). They are not doing addition or subtraction at all anymore, though. That's expected to be mastered. The kids are being tested on times tables and should be finished with that by October. Long division is coming soon. Perimeter and area. They do occasional very basic pre-algebra sort of stuff, but DD has always found that super easy and I consider it sort of inconsequential. As a reminder, these kids are all 130+ IQ. I don't know where your DS tested and if he is PG, but they are not at this time finding this 4th grade curriculum extremely easy in 3rd. (DD did find the 3rd grade book easier last year.) This is just for sake of comparison. I can share the name of the book with you in a PM if you like (prefer not to disclose publicly as it would ID me geographically).

Last edited by ultramarina; 09/17/12 10:36 AM.