I'd expect much more in-depth exploration of those topics, plus problem solving including some early pre-algebra. My perspective might be skewed a bit by ALEKS and Singapore Math, but the fourth grade coverage in both is significantly more comprehensive and advanced than the way this fourth grade teacher made it sound. I just looked over ixl.com and ALEKS as mapped to NH fourth grade standards, and they are both more advanced than the roadmap outlined by the teacher.

DS7 is completely past the fourth grade curriculum as outlined-- he will honestly get zero benefit from it. That's really what's driving my concern, not a mismatch between my expectations and reality, as I expect a somewhat rough initial fit (and ongoing perhaps due to pace) when we find the right classroom. One extra grade advancement in math is not going to be enough this year despite our hopes, partly because his retention is too good. :| (I don't think that they're even going to cover long division based on what was said, and if so not until later in the year, but he doesn't need review of that anyway.)

He was past the material in this class before the beginning of last year, then received little to no instruction for the first half of the year, then for the second half was doing what he called "baby work" but was really the down-level NH version (or our district's version) of third grade, tuned heavily for drill on basic math facts. I don't think we can sit by while another year is wasted.

Originally Posted by CCN
they were also doing decimals and adding & subtracting fractions and mixed fractions (not sure if that was grade 5)
I'm guessing that those are covered in depth starting in fifth here. If so, on to grade 6! eek Advocating for that wouldn't be pretty, since it would require transportation to the middle school.

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick