Originally Posted by Bostonian
If you are trying to get some new accommodation made for your child (not something that has been previously agreed or is on an IEP, which MA does not have for gifted students), how long should you wait for the teacher and school to "settle in".

I sent that email the first week of school, because that's when the opportunity arose. I'd emailed all the teachers to let them know that DD would be out of class for an appointment to deal with anxiety issues, and one of the teachers emailed me back to say she'd noticed a specific incident had made DD worry. I knew (from a prior conversation with DD that had made zero sense to me at the time, but perfect sense in light of the teacher's comment) that the underlying issue there wasn't anxiety, but "DD's brain works really differently sometimes."

So I emailed all the teachers to explain what the "brain works differently" issue was, because it's something that can really interfere with DD's ability to demonstrate what she knows. And added in that she was way ahead in math (as demonstrated by testing on the end-of-current-grade test) and was really excited that all of the teachers had expressed commitment to challenging all the kids.

Too soon to know what will come of it, in large part because the settling in hasn't finished. But it at least gives them a heads-up that she's ahead and that we expect them to live up to their statements.