Originally Posted by Dude
Originally Posted by Val
Can you file a formal complaint with the people above the principal if s/he ignores you? From my brief reading, it looks like Louisiana has some pretty good laws related to the rights of gifted students in public schools. Does your daughter have an IEP? Do they ignore it?

My daughter has an IEP, but honestly, it's a joke. The only obligations in it are ones they wrote themselves. For example, earlier this year it said she'd get X minutes in a gifted class, because that's how many they'd scheduled. Later on they cut back the minutes, so they sent a new IEP for us to sign.

There's a section for the parents, but it's merely "comments." I got to put two sentences in there, and they say that DD working at grade level is inappropriate (note my reference to FAPE there), and significant accommodations are necessary in the regular classroom to meet her needs. Obviously, those "comments" are being ignored.

There's such an imbalance of power in this process it's ridiculous.

You call a discussion of the sources of the power imbalance -- tenured teachers working in a quasi-monopoly (yes you can go elsewhere, but only government schools are "free") "hilarious".

"To see what is in front of one's nose needs a constant struggle." - George Orwell