Originally Posted by W'sMama
Nice to read about everyone's experiences so far.

DD5 started half-day K yesterday. The class is small and she knew several kids already. Her friends all loved it, but DD was a bit grumpy. She said they did "like 50 crafts and only played outside for 5 minutes." I think it was more like 3 crafts but she doesn't love that kind of thing.

I'm a little anxious for them to get those beginning-of-the-year assessments done so she can hopefully start learning something. I know some schools in this area actually have the kids come in for an assessment appointment prior to school starting- I wish this school did that.

It's been a looooong wait for us to get past this initial 'start of K' phase. I hope your's isn't quite so drawn out. We don't do pre-assessments either. We're on week 4 and doing reading 'screen-outs' (essentially) to pick up kids who are BEHIND but not ahead. The teacher tells me things really won't get differentiated until end of September in some things and mid-October in others...eek. At least they DO end up getting differentiated. Hang in there! We started our own after-school homework last week, but I think I should've started earlier to keep ds from being so dissappointed. GL!