Originally Posted by ultramarina
What do you think they should be doing in 4th grade, just out of curiosity?

I know they started out spending a fair bit of time on place value to the hundred millions (this actually tripped up DD--things like "how many ten thousands are in a hundred million" had not been covered for her before). They are not doing addition or subtraction at all anymore, though. That's expected to be mastered. The kids are being tested on times tables and should be finished with that by October. Long division is coming soon. Perimeter and area. They do occasional very basic pre-algebra sort of stuff,

This also sounds like my DD's grade four last year. I remember lots of long division. It was a 4/5 split and she was in 4 (bored with 4 & 5, wanted 6... teacher said no because she "was getting sloppy and not putting forth her best effort" ...sigh). Anyway, yes, it sounds like grade 4 to me as well.

Oh... they were also doing decimals and adding & subtracting fractions and mixed fractions (not sure if that was grade 5).

LOL I remember a conversation...

DD(then 8) "you can't do long division."
DS(then 7) "can SO!!"
DD "do you even know what it is?"
DS "no, but I can DO IT! Mama show me how?"
Me "ok buddy, after school."

I did - a very simple long division example - and it was eye opening because it made me realize all the cumulative math skills involved. DS had all the skills in place (except for memorization of the times tables: he had only a small part of them memorized). So he understood and could do the long division, but it was an arduous process involving scrap paper, pencil and lots of counting. Still, he was able to "neener neener" his sister ;p It was pretty funny. I think we'll do more of it this year in grade 3.

Last edited by CCN; 09/17/12 11:24 AM.