I had a brief talk with both kids teachers today..

ds6 (first grade).. just completed MAP testing. We don't have the compiled scores (primary MAP) but we do know his math score is extremely high (probably in the 215- 225 range). He is in a multi grade classroom (entire school is multi grade). He is in guided reading with the top 2nd graders and reading at a level 'n'. He should start the gifted pull out which is twice a week for an hour each day sometime in the next 2 weeks. He has expressed that the homework is too easy for him. We came up with a different plan for him. We can send in the work he is completing at home. He can read any book he wants as long as we use the guide to hit the talking points. For math... she wants to wait for those MAP scores.

dd8 (third grade) .. she is not working up to her ability. We brainstormed some ideas to help her. She is able to verbalize her thoughts very well but not able to get them onto paper. She is rushing through all her work (including the MAP test which she bombed!). I expressed my concerns about her being pulled from gifted services (which she has not qualified for through the school- we have private testing the school doesn't accept). but was there by teacher recommendation). The teacher is going to have her journal in a letter format written to her and then will write dd a letter back in the journal. Hopefully dd will open up a bit about her feelings and thoughts. We know she doesn't like being the 'smart girl'.

Overall I think we made progress with both kids.