So, I'm going to throw this out, though it doesn't relate to where most of you are at it may provide future insight down the line to many of you.

DS 19 is in his third week as a Freshman in college, I know, doesn't seem relevant to most of you but yours will get there sooner than you think so it may be worth a read.

The vast majority of his general education requirements he completed in HS so he's full bore 1st semester into core classes for his major of Physics. He's not sure that's the track he'll continue on, his first inclination was Bio-Medical, however, the Physics Dept. offered him a considerable scholarship, he also was blessed to receive the President's scholarship. There are a lot of common starting core classes between the two majors, Physics I & II, Chem. I & II, Calc. I & II, and numerous others, so little lost if he majors in Physics for the first year or two and decides to switch to Bio-Medical.

Of course with all such blessings come some expectations, maintain a 3.0 for the Physics Scholarship, which should be completely doable, and a 3.5 for the President's scholarship which is much more demanding. The classes he says are actually a little easier than he expected them to be, however, as he well knows, it's not like you get a lot of chances at this and the stakes are pretty high. He knows school comes first.

It’s been over 3 decades since I’ve been on a college campus, I hadn’t stopped to consider before now the stress put on a first semester Freshman in college. A completely new environment, living with someone new, sharing a sleeping quarters with someone on a regular basis for the first time, being completely responsible for everything you do or don’t do, time management, eating different foods on their schedule instead of the one you’re accustomed to, away from the vast majority of the friends you’re accustomed to seeing regularly, the lure of a new tempting social environment, community bathroom facilities….it’s a lot to transition into. Then throw the perfectionism and sensitivity that often accompanies a GT student with the pressure of performance and you’ve got quite a test on your hands.

The good news is he seems to be making the transition okay, not without trial mind you but I’m proud of him. If there is anything he needs to adjust it’s the same thing as the vast majority of new college students, time management. He’s accustomed to getting into the gym about 5 times a week, that physical release is important to both his physical AND mental well being. He’s putting school first alright, so much so that by the time he’s done with assignments the gym at school is closed. He needs to trust himself to take a break late afternoon and train, release some endorphins and get rid of some stress, then have at it again.

He says the honors course he's taking is really interesting, most of the honors courses are largely discussion based and he says it's opening his mind up to new thought patterns which he's excited about. It's really nice to see him excited about learning again after having often been bored through much of MS and HS.

Last edited by Old Dad; 09/05/12 09:13 AM.