I think there's been a misunderstanding regarding what I was trying to say about my lack of ability to draw or paint. It's possible I wasn't clear, so:

1. I'm definitely below average at drawing. Probably well below average.

2. No amount of practice will change my innate abilities in this area.

3. That's okay.

4. In fact, it's probably a good thing for me.

5. It's hard for people of above-average+ ability to truly understand what it means to be below average at something (like, for example, schoolwork).

5a. By this I mean, really understand what it means to lack ability, not just notice that someone else doesn't pick something up quickly.

5b. Similarly, many teachers who aren't gifted have a hard time understanding (or even believing) how quickly gifted kids learn.

6. When I meet or hear about kids who have trouble learning, my lack of drawing ability helps me get them, in the way that we refer to those special teachers who get our kids.

I agree with Steven that it's important to be honest about this kind of thing. A major problem with our school system is that it pretends that below average learners can be made average or above. This is wishful thinking, and it's the basis of most of our problems.

HTH,

Val