Originally Posted by ACh
Nevertheless, here is a selection of what your children may encounter:
- the pain that comes from floating lonely in a sea of stupidity or ignorance with very little company
- the isolation
- the anger at the lack of nuance in the thought processes of the people around them
- the impatience with the slow thought processes of others despite frequent practice at being patient
- the fear of the possibility of the modern version of angry pitchfork-bearing peasants running after them for saying something that makes them look stupid or challenges their worldview
- the fact that the vast majority of people in the world are, quite plainly, morons. If you read the news, you'll know what I mean.

Hi,

I'm sorry you have had so much trouble in your life. I think it's important to remember that richness of inner life (including alienation, depression, and so on) are universal. You may be more intelligent than almost everyone around you, but if you pay attention you'll find that feeling alone and cut off from others is something shared by everyone at some point. Additionally, intelligence does not make one ethical or more ethical than others. The 'morons' you decry are equally capable of making ethical choices, and ultimately being good is more important than being smart.

To 'live hard' is to say to one's self, really that thing before me is another human being before whom I must forbear.