Originally Posted by MsFriz
You might find this interesting if you haven't seen it already:

http://www.hoagiesgifted.org/dabrowskis_theory_existential_depression_feb09.pdf

Wow this is fascinating! As I'm reading this my life flashes before me. Though I'm very aware of my own issues and why they exist...I've never actually seen it put in such accurate terms. I'll have to print this out and read the whole thing. Seeing as I have the attention span of a squirrel I was perusing through it reading parts that particularly pertained to my life now and then.

At any rate...I'm a firm believer in learning from mistakes...my own and the mistakes I feel other people have made in their lives that have also impacted me seeing as family and friends do impact our lives. We don't have to be a product of our environment if our environment has been negative. Gifted individuals may struggle with those who do not have that kind of intellectual prowess, hypocracy, cruelty, etc. What we also have to realize...is that high intellect is great and all...but you can't forget about wisdom which is learning from mistakes and realizing that hypocracy and other forms of social injustices exist everywhere in this world...we have to make sure we're not contributing to it.

I remember wondering why I was put on this earth at 10 yrs. old. Existential Depression...yes that's me, and so many others. We can't let the past or even our angst at the atrocities that occur in this world put us in the position of becoming apathetic or so cynical that we become exactly what it is we detest.

My father's IQ is genius level...how high, I'm not sure however he has a humanistic side to him that is caring and nurturing if not naieve. His brother however, whose IQ was so high that he detested the world around him...decided that it was in his best interest to drink himself to death. How intelligent is that? We can't allow our perceptions of other people around us turn us into hateful human beings...isn't that a lot of what we're depressed about? I'm sure you'll find morons everwhere you go regardless of intellect...but you'll also find loving and caring human beings...we can't forget how to be one not matter how high our IQ is.

Last edited by Azuil; 05/25/10 08:21 AM.