Originally Posted by ACh
This world is poorly equipped to deal with us (I have chosen not to have children partially because any child I would have would go through many of the same things I did, considering the heritability of intelligence, and I don't think I'd be able to forgive myself if I had a child who had such a high likelihood of going through it).
Really? I would hope that you would be able to employ your profound gifts and *think* of a way to help your children succeed, whether geniuses or not. Besides, just because they might pop out with some of your genius doesn't mean that the genetic material contributed by the other parent wouldn't have a chance to balance your "curse," right?

I've long been mystified by the thinking that one's genetic material is so wickedly awesome that humanity would be best served by denying the potential contribution. It sounds more like you've denied your offspring (and humanity) one heck of an opportunity to benefit from all this chromosomal goodness.

My sibling, with scores comparable to yours, had a similar outlook when he was young... and thank goodness his animal drive to reproduce overrode his angsty attitude, as the world has since been blessed with one phenomenally capable pediatrician and an extremely competent teacher.

Being offended is a natural consequence of leaving the house. - Fran Lebowitz