Hi there...I was labeled gifted as a child and so was my husband. I do know what you mean by the world not understanding how to deal with such things. Often times parent's expectations are too high for our children to emotionally handle them, particularly with gifted children.

I have suffered from depression for many years and have learned to cope though I still have setbacks. I also questioned having children however what I have come to realize, is acknowledgment of what went wrong for you as a kid is 1/2 the battle. Now it's just applying what you know which is the really difficult part.

I have a daughter whom I think is gifted and plan on having her tested. She is difficult at times to deal with and I constantly remind myself that I am not my mother for example. There is no perfect parent but I am glad that I have my 2 children even if I wound up starting late. Take the bad behaviors of your own parents, throw them out the window (as best you can) and create your own identity...even if you don't have kids...your past may shape who you are, but it doesn't have to define you.