Do gifted people, or would gifted people get paid to talk about something they know nothing about?

No-- er, or perhaps, "Frequently." See, the thing is that it's often one's place to offer an opinion-- regardless of whether or not one happens to possess expertise in the particulars of the moment. Adulthood is filled with such "faking it" moments. I've learned that they are common not only for gifted persons, but for ALL people. Which brings me to the next statement...

What about the larger implications of engaging in such activity?

Well. Now there is a million-dollar question. I think that the nuanced version goes further. If one makes the assumption that such things as the former are inevitable among human beings...

the only real question for individuals is whether it is better to speculate based on one's intellect and particular knowledge/experience (which may or may not be relevent and accurate), or to keep silent.

If those of superior intellect choose the latter on the basis of imperfection, we are not preventing the former. We are not-- necessarily-- doing anything to provide genuine expertise in its absense. We may merely be creating a void.

I'm not so much convinced that nature, per se abhors a vacuum, but human beings certainly like to fill silence.

If smart people won't speak, I think it is a fair assumption to predict that the alternative isn't better.

My opinions aren't necessarily "better" than anyone else's, but conversely, they are also not necessarily "worse" either. I've learned to speak up.

My expertise? Nearly thirty years of what I would consider to be nominally 'adulthood.'

Fools will rush in if others don't.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.