I agree with Austin in that to make it so black and white is ridiculous. I'm an artist with degrees in studio art and art history but could have majored in math. I had professors begging me to switch my major to math, but for me it was simple and logical and art was the unknown. Many of my artistic friends have talents in many areas as well.

I see a proud father and husband and kudos to you for that, but honestly I had to laugh at your comment about your daughter's early work and a guarantee of getting into the Art Institute of Chicago. Not saying she has no talent, but it is basic 'student' work ... studies. I have seen a dozen if not hundreds of work similar to those two drawings. I'm also not shocked by her love of fabric ... your wife clearly has it too.

As for your description of art: really? Since you are being so vague I'm not sure who you are criticizing here. Modern art? There is definitely more to art than your little description. Even the best art historian has a hard time defining it and rightfully so.