Dear ACh,

I do understand where you are coming from. If you have found your niche - stay there. I have "fit in" (sort of) few times in my life. I have suffered depression all my life. However, the intensity comes and goes. I have learned the beautiful art of "walking away" from conversations.

My father was exceptional, but the rest of my family is not. He died when I was fifteen and the rest of my family constantly put me down as being "weird". Their goal for me has always been to "fit in".

I have a gifted daughter and I love her more than I have loved anyone. We butt heads, but she has brought something great to my life. Yes, when I see her struggle socially, I go off and have a cry. She does love being at home with us and has a few other kids that are brighter. Choir and band are her "happy places".

At your age, I felt like you do. I have been through happier times though. But, I always felt like I did not completely fit. Who you work for - and with - is really important. I am in a decent place now. Working for idiots is impossible for me.

Learning to get along with other people is difficult, but necessary. I think of it as a way to acquire data rather than "giving in". I always have a running idea of a sitcom and collect characters for it. Dickens did this and put them to great use - as well as Seinfeld and now Dimitri Martin.

Even on this forum, I always have a different opinion than most and many just ignore me.

I don't have any great words of wisdom except to stay with your interests. You may change your mind about kids - I had mine at 37. This is not an interest, but a deeper emotion that you can really only understand when it is a reality. I am no longer completely alone in life.