When I was young I had a long conversations with 2 other gifted students, one who attended a private school and another a public school. One was taught through his schooling and another via other gifted individuals to always hide their true everything in front of anyone outside their peer group. Both had been taught an extensive and elaborate system or neuro-languistics, vocabulary, dress style and so forth to look "average" projecting an IQ of no more than 100 and slightly outgoing yet oblivious.

I however had always found this questionable, and often objected to it at times which was met with much contempt. Sure it looks like a great tool for survival and an easy life, but basically advances 4 negatives: 1. Having to put on such an act drains you. If you have few or not friends it becomes an existential death. 2. It makes it harder for gifted people to find one another. 3. It can and does at times create elitist groups. 4, and perhaps the biggest peeve of mine: it yet again sets the limits on what society perceives. Suddenly no one ever sees anything over 105. A teacher who encounters 10 gifted students in 15 years all of which are hiding it will become very alarmed when student number 11 comes along being themselves. In my eyes it is a massive disservice aiding the dumbing down of society which is in itself a conspiracy. People understand what is common, not what looks like a freak oddity.

As you would guess, such views did not make me well liked.