Ultramarina, I'm aware of those findings but I've never understood - are the experts thinking that the poor tend to talk less because they are so overworked and focused on the next meal or because they just have less to say, don't have as much knowledge to pass on based on their own educational experience, or something else? Is this something people can be taught to do more of or are a lot of the conversations held by the affluent business people about topics that people without a decent education would struggle more with.

I am thinking about all of this as a person who grew up around poverty in an advantaged home and when I see the difference between how my husband, who has no experience with children but is highly educated, talks to our child and to see friends I've known forever talk to their children, I think it could be simply that people who know more pass on more. I think that it's likely that that when you fail kids today in terms of their education it probably gets passed on for generations because of this. I'm really interested in this subject, it seems so important.

Last edited by MotherofToddler; 05/03/13 08:47 AM.