The thing that I was pointing out-- and which I think that MadeinUK is saying, too, is that the effects of any of those school-based intervention programs is really quite small.

Yes, it's a positive impact, but it is so short of what seems to actually be needed.

I was intending to suggest that this may mean the same thing that I suspect it means in this current study-- that being that there are SO many influences that get in the way of learning and performance in low SES homes that programs based in schools that don't control the other 70-80% of those kids' lives...

well, it isn't much wonder that those children don't do their homework, don't have parents signing reading journals or attending conferences, etc. etc.

Placing some of those expectations on a mixed SES classroom of kids could merely confer additional advantage to kids with high SES. They aren't worried about asking for supplies for the science fair... taking home a note for a meeting with the teacher... losing a library book... or needing money for the book fair...needing help with reading homework, getting a parent signature, asking if dad can chaperone a field trip, etc. etc.

Those aren't even things that are about NCLB, or ignoring the highest potential kids in the room. Those are things that are about assuming a minimum level of affluence among those children's families.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.