Maybe some exceptional homes provide the other kind of environment at paradoxical income levels. Wealthy but abusive homes, or impoverished but stable/supportive/loving ones, I mean. That would explain outliers far better than social Darwinism would predict, because they seem to occur in the same kinds of rates that are observable for abuse, KWIM?

I would say this describes my father and one of his brothers, both of whom I would guess to be HG+ and most likely PG. Both raised in a very working class family with neither parent having completed highschool - but both parents stable, loving, attentive, supportive, etc. Three of the children have continued on to happy "normal" lives with only mild upward mobility in terms of education or SES. My Father graduated highschool 10th in the state, top in the state in one subject and was offered a full scholarship to an overseas university (which he was unable to take up due to health issues). His brother is internationally respected in his niche field and currently a professor at a local university. Neither my father or uncle ever had financial gain as a priority, so neither of them changed their economic status terribly much, but their social circumstances are very different from their siblings (or were different, in the case of my father).