Originally Posted by madeinuk
The accountability is not just on the teachers, it fall squarely on the parents as well. But I don't think it applies to the parents in this forum.

I also noted that high SES is an advantage. BUT there is no excuse for not taking 10 minutes a day and make your kids accountable.

Agreed 100% on both counts - I think that this is the primary area where cultural factors play their part.

I also laugh at the notion that higher earners work less hours and therefore have all this wonderful extra time to spend with their kids (sigh).

Yes, some higher earners work very long hours. My dh (not bringing home anywhere near the figure from the article, but we do have choices in providing enrichment for our kids) works 75-80 hours a week. But I have many friends and neighbors who would be considered high earners, and many of them are able to spend wonderful extra time with their kids due to a combination of hard work and connections and luck. They don't work harder than the people I know cleaning hotel rooms for 10-12 hours a day.