Personally, I doubt all of this bleating about how disadvantaged the poor little lambs that don't get Mozart played to them in their cribs (insert envious cliche du jour here) before kindergarten are.

From what I have read - would take time to drag references out - the differences between the 'hurried kids' and the others tend to even out by third grade. After that point the innate intelligence and whether or not the home environment is supportive of educational achievement kicks in.

I know all about working hard for crap money - I basically grew up dirt poor and have family who are still in that rut to this day. I was lucky and I know it but that doesn't detract from the fact that despite the lack of material wealth and trappings I was raised in a household where hard work and educational success were valued.

The values literally count more than the money from my personal experience. There are plenty of successful people out there that were raised by single parents the while toiling (yes toiling) for minimum wages and never being home because of it that managed to raise successful and productive children.

Last edited by madeinuk; 05/01/13 07:25 AM.

Become what you are