Originally Posted by Dude
Ms. Bainbridge has a bachelor's degree in psychology, and has published no peer-reviewed research papers on gifted psychology that I've found. That does not make an expert. She volunteers for a gifted organization, and has a gifted child of her own, which doesn't make her any more of an expert in the topic than many of us here.
It is my understanding (and I may be wrong), that she also holds a doctorate degree, has taught at the university level, held a board position for a gifted organization, and has authored articles on gifted for nearly two decades. Peer-reviewed research papers may not be the only criteria for developing/sharing expertise on the gifted. Similarly, Hoagies Gifted Education Page is run by an individual without this credential yet few would doubt her expertise. These people were among pioneers in the realm of gifted; Much has changed and evolved in part thanks to their efforts.

Originally Posted by Dude
Originally Posted by indigo
In summary, parents tend to know when they are hot-housing their kids.

They do?? Keeping in mind Ms. Bainbridge's definition of hothousing as teaching a child something before they're cognitively ready for it, Amy Chua doesn't seem to know when she's doing it: Why Chinese Mothers are Superior

"Chinese parents demand perfect grades because they believe that their child can get them."

"Chinese parents believe that they know what is best for their children"

"Jed took me aside. He told me to stop insulting Lulu—which I wasn't even doing, I was just motivating her—"

Etc.
1) Yes, I presented Amy Chua's work in my first post in this thread.
2) You truncated my post above "... parents tend to know when they are hothousing their kids...", removing the following: "Some parents believe these are good approaches to keep their kiddo/s competitive... Some may believe hot-housing works..."
3) A source in support of Ashley's post: Amy Chua's website... in Ms. Chua's own words... http://amychua.com/