Originally Posted by blackcat
I don't think all gifted kids are self-driven or motivated to learn to their level.
While it may be true that not all kids are self-driven or motivated to learn at their level, this may be a child's response to a glass ceiling, direct discouragement to their past attempts at inquiry, exploration, etc. (For example, think of how many times kids ask questions, get told that it's a good question, receive an answer, or an admission that someone does not know the answer but will help find an answer... versus being told they don't need to know, they ask too many questions, that's an odd question, or the child's question may just be screened out (ignored)...)

Originally Posted by blackcat
The other day I asked DD what she is reading in school. She told me and then she said "S is reading Harry Potter! I can't believe it! That book is SO LONG and huge!" I said "You can read Harry Potter too if you want. You are certainly capable of reading at that level." Dh went into the basement and dug into boxes to find the books. He gave it to DD and suggested she sit down and try it. A couple hours later she was almost done with book 1. She finished it the next day and then asked for book 2. Now I have the dilemma of trying to figure out if the rest of the series is Ok for a kid who just turned 8 or if they are too dark and creepy.
Without a little "pushing" DD would never have picked up that book. She probably would have picked up Rainbow Magic instead which she could read a few years ago and is meant for first or second graders.
In the example provided, the only "push" may be the removal of a glass ceiling. There is encouragement for the child to explore what their challenge level may be. There is the support of providing an enriched and positive environment. There is the child's demonstrated interest which has been fostered by the support and encouragement.