Originally Posted by squishys
Carol Bainbrigde believes squirting children with water as a disciplinary tool.
I've not heard this, do you have a source to share in which she discusses this belief?

She also seems to be bias towards verbally gifted children, whilst discounting the abilities of the mathematically gifted.
I understand that her focus is on linquistics, so this may be her specialty. May I ask what informs your belief that she discounts the abilities of the mathematically gifted (other than this is not her focused area of study)?

I don't put any faith in her advice of any children- gifted or not.
Personally, I do not find her to be advice-y, but more explain-y or present-y. That being said, the vast array of knowledge to be learned, aspects to consider on any topic, and the lens of one's own personal experiences... give rise to varied viewpoints. This is why parents seek a good "fit" in finding teachers, schools, pediatricians, testers, psychologists, columnists, pundits... all kinds of experts. We share one earth and hopefully decide to peacefully coexist.

However, I do agree in the benefits of intrinsic learning. IMO it is fine to encourage, but not to force- whether children are capable or not. That is what works for me, as I am lucky to have an extremely motivated child.
May I say, your child is also quite fortunate to have you as a parent, as you sound vary compatible in your learning/teaching styles. Nice how that works out sometimes. smile