Originally Posted by Ametrine
... how the use of rewards for work well done is possibly a telltale sign of a hot housing parent.
The distinction is generally between activities which the child finds intrinsically rewarding, determined by child's depth of interest, natural curiosity, and the child's own sense of work well done (curiosity satisfied) -vs- activities which are parent-prodded and possibly evaluated as work well done by an adult who determines whether the child has achieved the adult's desired outcome for the child's achievement or performance.

In the world of adult work, what of bonus incentives, or the threat of a demotion/getting fired? I think using rewards/punishments for performance/non-performance normal.
The adult world of work is a different context entirely, then that of hot-housing children.

hot housing to a gifted level. It's just not possible.
This is an interesting thought and one that some may disagree with... as alluded to in this article discussing whether children's abilities even out in third grade (link- http://giftedkids.about.com/od/schoolissues/i/even_out.htm).

If reading at three... child was shown Sesame Street and had a book of the alphabet before then, is that hot housing?
It is my understanding that having books available is considered a positive and enriching environment. There is nothing inherently wrong with any particular resource or tool, only how it may be utilized... the difference being the degree to which something is genuinely of interest to the child or is parent-pushed.

... why don't more children read at three, what with the readily available resource of tv and the library?
It is my understanding that for some this may depend upon their neurological development, and for others it may be lack of stimulation.
Oh, and I once read a review of the Baby Can Read. It involved isolating the child in a restraint of some kind, in a dark room, without anything but the program playing. THAT is hot housing.
I've not heard of this, but your account of it does not sound good. I share your concern. That being said, babies do spend an amount of time in "restraints" such as car seats, child swings, cribs, pack'n'play playyards, bouncers, exersaucer activity centers, snuglis, boppy nursing pillows and the like in the company of their parents and caregivers... having something play in the background may be common, whether it is the radio, tv, or a program...?