Originally Posted by puffin
I think the irregular verb quoted is fairly accurate. I consider talking non stop about everything to my kids to be normal but not everyone does. I consider teaching my kids basic maths and reading readiness part of being a parent too. I think sending your kids to afterschool drill centres (if they are not struggling) and 5 afterschool activities is hot housing.

Basically to me hot housing is asking more of a child than a child of their IQ and age than is reasonable.

Beautifully put.

Because I'm officially the meanest mom in the world tonight, as I "hothouse" my 14yo with respect to college essays which are due tomorrow, and prevent her from-- hmm--

well, okay, she's eaten dinner, and she's free to use the bathroom at will. I guess I did prevent her from using Skype until she's got something drafted.

LOL. Is this "appropriate" for a 14yo? Well, I have no real idea, but I know that it's the expectation for THIS 14yo, all right, and it's entirely reasonable.

Last edited by HowlerKarma; 10/30/13 08:20 PM. Reason: grammar is apparently not my forte this evening

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.