Originally Posted by blackcat
One other boy in the class was reading it as well.
Cool!

She said he could probably read more advanced material but she didn't have higher level assessments.
Some may say the glass ceiling was at level O.

First grade teacher says that DS is reading at a Level L. (is it a coincidence that this is the highest level she has in the classroom?).
Some may say the glass ceiling is at level L. To increase the pool of books, some schools have made wish lists, used scholastic book fairs, obtained donations of used books, and had student-run community book drives. At one school, in response to student food allergies, some children brought a book to donate as an alternative to bringing a food treat.

Some parents like to keep a list of books their child reads... including reading level, and date. Such lists may prove valuable for future advocacy... for example substantiating interests, and/or demonstrating independent preparation or self-study in an area, when an opportunity arises which may have prerequisites. This may become important especially if the student appears to be regressing in reading, to document what their true level is. As a bonus, kids may find adding a book to their list to be very exciting. (What kind of book would I like to add next... I've read a lot about _______ recently... maybe I'll read about ______... ) smile

... she said he needs to learn to answer comprehension questions better.
Here are two stories of families having an experience like this...
1) One family learned that the teacher's "comprehension questions" came with a grading key on which the teacher would tick off words which the child recited from the text verbatim. If a child put the story into their own words (for example, saying "pig" in place of "piggy", "rabbit" or "hare" for "bunny", "swiftly" or "quickly" for "fast") the child received a poor score for essentially demonstrating understanding/comprehension/vocabulary rather than rote memorization. It was not explained to the child that he needed to remember the story words exactly and say them back to the teacher... this was a "comprehension" test: tell me what happened in the story you just read.
2) One family learned that their child elaborated, theorized, and thought deeply about the reasons why each character may have done what they did, other things they may have done instead, how he thought the author would be leading to one ending, and felt that may have been better than the ending which the author chose... etc.

Obviously both of these kids were "beyond" in their comprehension of what they read. Some may say the test was flawed... or the testing conditions were flawed in not setting parameters proactively, for the child to keep in mind when discussing the story.

You may wish to find out how your son's "comprehension" is being assessed?