Originally Posted by blackcat
Where is the line between providing some enrichment according to the child's abilities and hothousing?

Blackcat, you seem really anxious about this.

I think a great deal has to do with the family's choice of how they want to live: it's personal and not one-size-fits-all.

Our choice has been to provide a stimulating environment (as 22B notes). There are a ton of books in our house and no cable TV, because that's what we prefer. We are actively math-friendly-- when we bake, we talk about fractions, and so forth-- but we do not give our kids extra schoolwork outside of school. Again, that's a matter of taste and family style.

We want our kids to have a balanced childhood with time for fun, music, and physical activity. If other families want different for their kids, that's OK with me.

My own kids happen to adore academic learning (in certain subjects, not across the board), so they casually pick up knowledge; I don't think I could stop them, so hothousing isn't a major issue for us.

I'd just say: do what seems right for your child's overall well being, whatever that looks like.

DeeDee