Oh, we tried Supernanny, too. I think that the big difference was that we were already doing most of the 'right' things and that OUR mistakes really weren't what had gotten us to that point in the first place. I mean, some of the parents on that show... OY. Still, I love SuperNanny.

On Super-DD, however, this is what led to two days at the naughty spot. Because apparently some children would rather sit there than admit that defiance was unacceptable, or that they should feel remorseful. Or that she deserved to be sent there in the first place, evidently. Any time I'd try to "talk" about the infraction (as a means to ending the 'naughty' time) she'd revert to snide and smart-mouthed sass and continued defiance over whatever it was. Since she wasn't able to either control herself or be genuinely sorry, she wasn't getting up (IMO).

If I allowed her reading material, she'd probably happily sit like that for WEEKS, rather than the 'days' that we got with my cognitive deprivation model of the naughty spot.

I suspect that ultramarina's child (from the sounds of things) is the same breed as mine. It's almost superhuman stubbornness. My DH calls it "Cool Hand Luke" syndrome. His younger brother was like this, too-- and his parents eventually gave up rather than fighting it continuously or correcting it incessantly, which I can't say was really the right move, either. His brother is also HG+, by the way, but has struggled with "real world" skills since he often runs afoul of authority of any kind.

I console myself with the knowledge that if I can't make her break, then her peers don't much stand a chance with her either, assuming that she knows right from wrong and is being responsible.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.