We've taken a parenting class on L&L. When I first heard about the basic idea of giving 2 choices for everything my first thought was, "What happens when they say neither one?" Which of course is what DD would say every single time, no matter how often I repeated that there were only 2 choices. Also, I noticed most of their suggestions for consequences are monetary, like, "You can clean up your room now or you can pay me to do it." Or, "You guys can stop arguing in the car or you can pay me $5 to listen to you." Obviously you could adapt this to find some consequences that work better for your family, but for DD she'd just pay up and leave me thinking, "Why did I even offer to let her pay me for this?? Sooo not worth it." (The pay comes from an allowance you give them, another of their suggestions.)

I think they're definitely on to something with the whole "let's hope they fail" thing and I have tried to set DD up with little failures to learn from.

You'll notice I haven't mentioned my DS in this and that's just because he's always been so naturally compliant. Even as a 1-yo toddler when we'd tell him no about something he'd just say, "awight!" and stop right away. We'd joke that he was under the Imperius Curse. If I could bottle that temperament and sell it, I think I'd be a billionaire. wink