By continuously instilling and pointing to the values behind the things we ask him to do. With a very similar sequence of priorities as DeeDee outlined.

I don't know if it is uniquely gifted or a subset of gifted, but I have to function in a top-down manner. I have problems with details and specific rules etc. So, for me personally, I always drive towards the principle behind something. There is a reasonable chance that your kids are the same.

Typical childhood learning is that one keeps encountering small cases and eventually the brain on its own slowly reasons out to broader nuanced cases. With a lot of internal control + awareness + intrinsic motivation and a need for a top-down understanding, I think a lot of gifted kids need to understand the principle guiding things. Without it, they are encountering a large unconnected amount of individual rules that want to be rote learned, but aren't obviously generalized out to to other rules because they see too many what ifs, etc.

So, rather than remembering a 100 special cases, they can ask themselves: "If I do this, am I being kind? Is it safe?" etc. Over time, they improve their skills in making those judgement calls. As a parent you aren't explaining or justifying yourself, your child isn't questioning your judgement, they are trying to learn these larger principles in life and you are formally and directly teaching them rather than the more intuitive path a neuro-typical child usually needs to follow.

Downside, there is a lot of questioning and pushing. Upside, they formalize it sooner and apply it better and deeper.