Originally Posted by Val
Originally Posted by Tigerle
Gosh, this is really a complex decision (that's probably the reason we're all getting into it!).
I do not think that a thirteen year old should have to shoulder all the responsibility - after all it involves a move across the globe, into a very unfamiliar environment.
I would approach the process two ways: going forward and going backward.

Originally Posted by ndw
Thanks Tigerle. Yep kind of complicated for sure. Don't worry, too much for me let alone DD. There is the visa stuff and bank statements etc for starters! We discuss it all because she does have to ultimately choose a Uni and course. If she had the time I am sure she would be right onto it though, Internet research is definitely one of her strengths.

I'm going to respectfully disagree here. Choosing a college is often the first big adult-like decision that a person makes. While I believe that parental input is very important, I also believe that too much involvement on the parent's part isn't a good thing.
The children parents are asking about on this forum are bright, but most are not cynical, I hope. American universities are tricky, in at least the following ways:

(1) They encourage applications even from people they will almost certainly reject, in order to boost their "selectivity".
(2) Some give "scholarships" to almost all applicants instead of just reducing the list price.
(3) They lump grants and loans together as "financial aid".
(4) They say that applying Early Decision does not confer an advantage, when I think it does, based on some published research.
(5) They are coy about the various preferences they give.

I want my children in high school to focus on academics and extracurriculars that interest them. College admissions strategizing will be a joint effort between them and me.