Val.. Yes I think you have some valid points.

But first most of us are giving advice here assuming that OP's child is participating in the college selection process. Many parents ask advice and make suggestions to about good fit schools for unusual students. I expect that decisions aren't going to be make by this thread but that we are giving the OP suggestions of where to look and what to look out for in a very complex and far from opaque college admissions system. In addition I believe the decision has already been made that they are looking for somewhere she can LIVE AT HOME. Therefore making it easier for mom and/or dad to support her were needed.

Needing help in researching/selecting a college does not equal unable to perform in college. My DD20 needed a lot of help in selecting colleges/universities. She was on the young side (still 17 when she started) and has LD's. Yes it was her decision in the end of the day where to go, but I was the one who "found" online the school she is now at at and suggested we go for visit. It's on the opposite coast and I insisted she fly out for a visit (her second) ON HER OWN before I would agree to her choice. She is now in the second semester of her Junior year and she has been very happy with the school she chose. We spend a lot of time looking at schools her senior year and I'm glad we did. (Yes I did help a lot but mostly on helping her her research and to travel with her to visit schools.) But she has always been very good at going to class, doing her homework, and passing classes. Her study skills are very good, and she chose a college that 'fit' her needs. She still needs to learn a few things, but I don't believe it would have been helpful to keep her at home until she could navigate the U.S. college system on her own.

Many teens are overwhelmed with the college process in this country and many parents pay big $$$ for private college counselors. Just because you can use some advice/help on one aspect of college doesn't mean you need help taking classes. I've known teens who were very capable of getting straight A's on the hardest classes, but who were totally overwhelmed by the college selection process they didn't even try.

I applaud you for letting your son do as much of this work as possible on his own. But that doesn't mean it's the right situation for everyone or that it's wrong for parents to help at this stage.

Last edited by bluemagic; 02/18/15 03:46 PM.