Originally Posted by Bostonian
Originally Posted by ndw
I have plugged Community Colleges into the spreadsheet noting transfer requirements.
Here is a cautionary note on community colleges.

Community colleges in the U.S. typically have open admissions, and part of their mission is to provide a low-cost path to higher education for nontraditional students, including adults returning to school. We moved to a suburb with "good schools" so our children will have high-performing peers. Very few children from our high school will start at a community college, and none of the best students will. I'd be very wary of putting a gifted child in a community college, because that's not where the smartest people are. Even repeating high school in a "good school" would provide more appropriate peers.
That is why I explicitly stated that I would consider this in CA but not necessarily anywhere else. I know many bright students who go to Community College in CA. I personally know students that have gone on to UC Berkley, and graduate school who took their first two years at community college. This is because it is a planned path to the University of California (research level) system schools. Our community colleges have gifted classes and dedicated classes for those going that route. But not all community college systems (state systems vary) work along the same lines. I do NOT know what the community colleges in D.C., Virgina, or Maryland are like but it's worth finding out more information about them.

Someone else posted about truancy laws. In CA once a child graduates from H.S. you are exempt from truancy laws. I found a document stating in D.C. "Students must attend school daily until they meet high school graduation requirements or reach their 18th birthday." http://goo.gl/ysd3Pw

Last edited by bluemagic; 02/18/15 10:48 AM.