Originally Posted by Val
In addition, US colleges and universities have two basic routes for admission: as a first-year student ("freshman") or as a transfer student ("sophomore" or second year or higher). It's much easier (possibly much, much easier depending on the institution) to gain admission as a first-year student.
This is an important point to take into consideration.

If you were coming to CA, I would highly recommend community college as a good option for your daughter. Our community colleges have honors programs and straight forward transfer program to the University of California schools. They are a great alternative to a 4 year school, one of the downsides is that to transfer to UC or Cal State schools you must transfer as a junior. There are pro's & con's of these schools but at least my local Community Colleges have excellent teachers and good reputations. But I don't know much about the D.C. community college, or VA community college system so I wouldn't want to recommend it. Quality of community colleges do vary and I don't know if these schools have transfer agreements with any schools.

If I were in your shoes I'd first start by trying to see if your DD qualifies and can get admission to the D.C. research universities for the fall after your arrival.