Ok, I know (think) we all want to give our children the best so that they can fulfill their potential and get their needs met.

But what about our needs? Do they get lost in the shuffle... or not necessarily?

I'm 27. A guy I went to school is an experimental physicist. He just created something that could seriously change the face of medicine if everything goes well. He messaged me to tell me congrats on my family and I asked him about it. He was polite and asking me what motherhood was like, but I was really just dying to talk about his discoveries.

My husband came home from work right after I found out about it and I explained to him, through tears, what my friend had done. I was crying because I feel like I've completely let myself down and squandered any potential I might have had.

I am 99.9% sure that no mommy I know in real life would ever cry over something like this lol.

I know being a mom is an important job, but I also know that almost anyone can become a mom and work hard at it. I don't feel like my entire purpose in life is to be a mother. I have been craving intelligent conversation for a few months now and the only place I get it is on internet forums.

How do you all deal with these feelings? Even if you don't stay home, I think having children requires you give up quite a bit of yourself. If you are a SAHM, well, I don't know. I feel like only a tiny piece of me still exists.

PS. PM me if you know of a better forum on the internet for posts like these. I don't want to mess up the feng shui of these forums.