DD is 4.6

1. When did you first expected giftedness in your child?

By 18 months she had been consistently hitting milestone charts that were double her age and I started to think that was odd, so I looked in to giftedness and over time became more and more convinced. And she was (is!), so, so, so intense compared to other babies - could never just be left in a bouncer (oh how I wished for a baby that would happily sit, even for a few minutes... still don't have one of those... sigh!)

2. What milestones/traits (gross motor skills, fine motor skills, verbal skills, literacy skills, mathematical sills, social) really made you suspect giftedness?

DD sat at 4 months, skipped rolling, crawling or bumb shuffling and started walking with help at 7/8 months. Didn't really talk before 12 months, but was talking in short (4 -7 word) sentences by 18 month with a huge vocabularly, knew all her colours including light/dark variations by 18 months, all alphabet by 18 months, phonetically by 2, knew and loved pointing out that a letter was a letter and a number was a number before she was 2. reading basic words at 2.5, drawing very clear by 2.5. Reading sentence and very easy readers at 3, doing basic addition and subtraction etc. Proficiency with puzzles (60+ pieces from 2.9 with little help).

3. Did your child have any delays? If so what area (gross motor skills, fine motor skills, verbal skills, literacy skills, mathematical sills, social)?

Her reading came in fits and starts - she'd zoom ahead and then not read a thing for 6 months. She's on a roll again at the moment.

4. Is your child 2E? If they are did they have other signs besides the obvious, more quantifiable ones?

No

5. Has your child been tested?

Yes

6. Is your child across the board gifted or quite asynchronous? If so what are his/her strengths and were they obvious from a young age?

She tested higher in non-verbal than verbal, but apparently stopped cooperating on the final two subtests and so that dropped her scores on those two. However she achieved almost identical scores compared to the non-verbal equivalents in the earlier verbal subtests, and I would have said verbal ability is her strength, so I would say she's pretty even. Though more recently her math abilities are starting to become really apparent.

Fine motor is ahead, but not as far ahead as her capacity to think - a constant source of frustration for her.

7. When your child was young (baby/toddler/preschooler), was their development fairly even or did they excel more in certain areas (gross motor skills, fine motor skills, verbal skills, literacy skills, mathematical sills, social)?

Fairly even, though her verbal skills and literacy skills were apparent earlier to me than her mathematical skills - though that is probably because that is probably more as a result of what I enjoyed doing with her.

Thanks for this thread, it's an interesting read smile