Originally Posted by newmom21C
1. When did you first expected giftedness in your child?

Do you mean "suspect"? If so, I guess I should say that I was looking for it from birth (since DH & I are both HG+), but I actually convinced myself that she wasn't, because she didn't seem that advanced until around the time she turned 2.

2. What milestones/traits (gross motor skills, fine motor skills, verbal skills, literacy skills, mathematical sills, social) really made you suspect giftedness?

It was the early reading. Of course there's more than that, but it was the early reading that was just too striking to ignore.

3. Did your child have any delays? If so what area (gross motor skills, fine motor skills, verbal skills, literacy skills, mathematical sills, social)?

She's been behind in a few skills (probably due to lack of interest or exposure), but not any areas.

4. Is your child 2E? If they are did they have other signs besides the obvious, more quantifiable ones?

Probably not.

5. Has your child been tested?

Not yet.

6. Is your child across the board gifted or quite asynchronous? If so what are his/her strengths and were they obvious from a young age?

She's pretty asynchronous. She's probably advanced in every area, but her abilities range from only slightly advanced (e.g., handwriting) to very, very advanced (e.g., reading). I suppose it's probably not normal for babies to be obsessed with books, or for one-year-olds to memorize (long) books, but none of that was really obvious to me until I realized that she was teaching herself sight words (at just after her 2nd birthday). In fact, I remember thinking (forgive my naivete), "Oh, she must not be as gifted as I am, because I started reading at 2, and there's no way she's going to be reading at 2." Ha, ha, ha. smile

7. When your child was young (baby/toddler/preschooler), was their development fairly even or did they excel more in certain areas (gross motor skills, fine motor skills, verbal skills, literacy skills, mathematical sills, social)?

She's been advanced in every area, but not evenly so. As a baby, she was physically and socially advanced. As a toddler, it was probably mostly her interests that were unusual, and perhaps her fine motor skills. As a preschooler, it is the verbal and literacy skills that are particularly unusual.

So much for short answers, eh? laugh