I mean this as a spin off to the Dr. Ruf thread. I know a lot of theories seem to go around about early identification of gifted children but I thought why not make a quick and dirty survey of the people we have here?

Of course, this is far from perfect since we're a self-selected group and we can't exactly control for other factors but it would be interesting to see if there are any common traits that are recognizable.

I thought of a few questions to ask but if anybody else has any other ones than I'd be happy to add them. Maybe afterwards, I just put the numbers into excel and find some rough stats. I know we have a number of parents of 2E kids around so maybe we could even improve on Ruf's studies. grin

So here are the questions I thought of:

1. When did you first expected giftedness in your child?
2. What milestones/traits (gross motor skills, fine motor skills, verbal skills, literacy skills, mathematical sills, social) really made you suspect giftedness?
3. Did your child have any delays? If so what area (gross motor skills, fine motor skills, verbal skills, literacy skills, mathematical sills, social)?
4. Is your child 2E? If they are did they have other signs besides the obvious, more quantifiable ones?
5. Has your child been tested?
6. Is your child across the board gifted or quite asynchronous? If so what are his/her strengths and were they obvious from a young age?
7. When your child was young (baby/toddler/preschooler), was their development fairly even or did they excel more in certain areas (gross motor skills, fine motor skills, verbal skills, literacy skills, mathematical sills, social)?

If you don't want to answer here you could PM me and I could just include your answers in the stats at the end. Feel free to do this for all of your kids. If you know for yourself and/or your partner I'd include those too. Obviously, include a disclaimer here that we're relying on memory etc...

It's going to be easiest for me if you can give some sort of short answer first (like yes/no and what areas) and then after that explain your answer more in detail if you'd like.