Originally Posted by Dude
I'm not saying that your reinterpretations were a violation of board rules.
You are not the person empowered with interpreting what does or does not violate the board rules.
1) To some degree, we all interpret the Board Rules each time we post.
2) You, and others, have referred to the Board Rules over the years. There seems to be a double-standard.
3) I see nothing in the Board Rules which requires each viewpoint or opinion to be identified as such. Some may discern from the context, others may choose to ask clarifying questions. Unfortunately some may make assumptions... including negative assumptions.
4) Uncertain whether you are implying that I have misrepresented myself to be a moderator... but just in case you are: I have not.
5) Unfortunately, moderators tend to not be readily available on the weekends.

Originally Posted by Dude
it's most definitely a violation to state that someone was "talking at length, especially in an inflated or empty way,"
philly's subsequent responses contained the appropriate level of outrage for the situation.
1) I did not say "talking at length, especially in an inflated or empty way". That is your interpretation/misinterpretation... a strawman, misrepresenting an opposing view to make it easier to discredit.
2) What I said was:
Originally Posted by indigo
winding speech, off-topic, such as filibustering, kitchen-sinking.
The context was friendly, not offensive, followed by a wink emoticon.
3) There appears to be a double standard: You and others have judged and labeled several of my posts as: vaccous... not valid or useful... a waste of time... bloviating, etc. Yet I did not respond with outrage. Some may say that would be outrageous. wink
4) Some may say that the many posts discussing the word "bloviate" is an effort in feigning having been attacked... a trumped-up charge... raising "taking offense" to an art form... an over-response to "innocuous" triggers.

Originally Posted by aquinas
Are you (second person singular, not a collective noun including family or a spouse) a US taxpayer, indigo? That is the question you asked me. Why are you avoiding a perfectly simple question you felt was appropriate to ask me?

You have stated my answer is relevant to the discussion, presumably because you are attempting to paint my opinion on US treatment of post-secondary costs as irrelevant to the discussion on the basis of my not being an American taxpayer. I have an interest in seeing people in all societies achieve their potential, including Americans (several of whom I love, count as dear friends, or work with professionally), as is consistent with the objective of this forum.

Now, kindly answer your own question and stop bloviating. wink (By your communicated standard in this thread, my previous comment is inoffensive because the word was used technically correctly, and accompanied by a friendly emoji.)
Aquinas, in case you missed it...
Asked - Do you pay taxes to fund the US government?
Answered - I am a voting US citizen and do pay taxes to fund the US government.
Please notice that these are the same wording and level of detail, not invasive, intrusive, or overly personal.

Summary of discussion points regarding the cost of college:
- I believe most posters have agreed the price of tuition at US public colleges is too high for many American citizens.

- There are differing views on whether:

- - a broad array of individual solutions are more effective, efficient, and serve more US citizens...

- - or whether making tuition US-taxpayer-funded would be more beneficial to more US citizens...

- - or whether some are looking to maximize benefit to those who are not US citizens, at the expense of American citizens.

- Some have shared success stories of creative solutions for funding college.
- Some have argued that college should be funded because high schools are not adequately preparing students with life skills?
- Some have argued that college should be funded by decreasing prison funding.
- Some have argued that public college should be funded by eliminating funding to (students attending) private colleges.
- Price generally moves based on supply and demand. There has been and increased demand for college. This may be based largely on statistics which showed that in the past several decades, in general, those with degrees earned more, in the economy which existed at that time. (Notable exceptions: Gates, Jobs, Zuckerberg.)
- Student loans are a factor.
- College costs less in Canada, and student loans are dischargeable.
- Some have argued for college as a means to become upwardly mobile, therefore a benefit to the individual.
- Some have argued from the perspective of societal need - what level of skill and training is required to be workforce ready, and employed in the economy of the future.
- Several have made unfounded assertions that more jobs of the future will require college degrees. Do you have a source which informs this view?
- With technology replacing many US job functions, some may believe that fewer jobs will require a degree. The US Bureau of Labor Statistics offers projections, analysis, reports, including required education levels.
1) Less than high school - 27%
2) High school diploma or equivalent - 39%
3) Some college, no degree - 1%
4) Postsecondary, non-degree award - 6%
5) Associate's degree
-- note: 79% of jobs do not require a 4-year degree or higher
6) Bachelor's degree - 18%
7) Master's degree - 2%
8) Doctoral or professional degree - 3%

Whether to pursue a degree, what to study, where to go, and how to pay remain individual choices.

For some, only an ivy or top-tier college will be satisfactory. These may provide a full ride scholarship based on need (not merit, as all students accepted into the highly selective colleges are considered academically meritorious).

For others, a public university may work. Addressing the causes of steep increases in tuition may be more effective in the long run, as compared to shifting greater tuition payment responsibility to US taxpayers... which may actually increase the rate of the rising cost spiral.

How would you summarize the discussion of the OPs article so far, in this thread?

PS:
My interest in gifted issues is driven by seeing the need to pass along what I have learned, to the many newcomers who are seeking information to build a knowledge base.