In my experience (friends with college age children and mine and my husband�s college experience): Yes. College is more expensive. But also: specifically to those who are financing it with loans or grants, they are using that money differently than students used to. Personally, in my lifetime (I am 39) college has not been something the average person can just pay for without some kind of assistance. I do not personally have negative feelings because of that. After 15 years, like a mortgage, I paid off my student loan last year. I lived in the dorm. I had a meal plan. I worked part-time for things like gas, clothes, (alcohol) etc while double majoring , participating in activities, and staying on the Dean�s list.

I know many kids now who are using their loans to get apartments. As Sanne said, they have pets, new cars, new technology, etc. These kids live in town even (major metro area) and move out into apartments. And do not work.

Certainly, these people are in for a rude awakening when the bill comes due and may experience discomfort at that point.

I am not trying to be all �down on millennials.� I am a parent and my DS is a unique, beautiful person and not some faceless part of a group. However, please take this study with a grain of salt and for the �non-random� sample it is.