Originally Posted by Dude
Well, your premises can be restated:

1) The cost of a 4 year degree is too high and rising, I recognize this as a societal problem, but I'm willing to passively accept the obvious and growing condition, and the long-term consequences thereof.

2) The cost of a 4 year degree is too high and rising, I accept my responsibilities as a member of society and believe problems should be solved, and I am willing to engage in activities relevant to making that happen.

For an analogy, do you identify a malignant tumor and try to treat it, even though you know it will hurt, or do you quietly ignore it and wait for it to kill you?
Some may see the premises to more closely resemble:

1) The cost of a 4 year degree is too high and rising, I recognize this as a societal problem, and I'm willing to be responsible, creative, and aware of current and future consequences as I make the sacrifices necessary to determine my calling and the education I need to attain it and fulfill my purpose.

2)The cost of a 4 year degree is too high and rising, I recognize this as a societal problem, but I want entitlement today and have my children, grand-children, and great-grandchildren pay for it in the future.

For an analogy, do you identify a malignant tumor and try to transplant it into your progeny so you may live unfettered?

Originally Posted by Dude
I feel like Bostonian has clearly endorsed the first position, and I have endorsed the second.
Yes, some of us may recall this from prior forum discussions and therefore may not have made the astute observation which Old Dad made upthread, here.