Originally Posted by aquinas
Indigo, because you saw fit to ask this of me first, and I gave you the courtesy of a response, it seems only fair that you answer your own question, in turn.

Do you pay US taxes personally, not by proxy through a spouse, family member, trust, or other income splitting mechanism? By this, do you pay taxes on personal income you earn from legitimate, objectively verifiable paid work recognized by the IRS?
1) What I asked of you was different, and pertinent to the discussion at hand.
2) Some may say that your post would not be described as "the courtesy of a response", but may be seen as baiting, insulting, and putting words in my mouth.

What I asked you, in context:
Originally Posted by indigo
It is my understanding that you reside in Canada
In Canada, where I live... tuition is more affordable here, and student debt is dischargeable
Do you pay taxes to fund the US government?
This is not an absurd question (as you label it), but is pertinent to the discussion, as you have stated that US taxpayers should increase funding for college... but evidently are not a US taxpayer yourself.

What you asked of me, in context:
As to your absurd question about whether I pay US taxes, of course not. I pay taxes (on earned income, etc) in the jurisdiction to which I am a citizen, and provide private charity where I am not on a needs-based ranking, to the extent that my finances allow.

Since you asked and I answered, a little quid pro quo seems fair, though such a question would never be asked in polite company. (I’m seeing this as a teachable moment, and you’ve abandoned all pretense of reciprocal politeness, so why not?)

Do you pay US taxes personally, not by proxy through a spouse, family member, trust, or other income splitting mechanism? By this, do you pay taxes on personal income you earn from legitimate, objectively verifiable paid work recognized by the IRS? If not, who is suppprting your lifestyle, one which allows you to post amply during conventional work hours?
Your question violates personal boundaries, and as you say, "should never be asked...".
The context in which you placed your question is one not germane to a discussion of college tuition.
The tenor may be seen as baiting, accusatory, and abusive.
Suffice it to say that I am a voting US citizen and do pay taxes to fund the US government.

While I welcome and respect all viewpoints,
1) I do not necessarily agree with all viewpoints,
2) I do not place equal weight on all viewpoints,
3) I believe that ultimately it is up to US taxpayers to determine how US tax money is to be spent.

Originally Posted by aqinas
You seem to have a fundamental view that everyone can self-support, irrespective of the hand life deals them.
Would you kindly provide link(s) and quote(s) showing where I posted this.
Otherwise this may be a strawman, misrepresenting an opposing view to make it easier to discredit.

Regarding the cost of college:
In addition to the thread summaries at the bottom of posts here and here...
- Some have shared success stories of creative solutions for funding college.
- Some have argued that college should be funded because high schools are not adequately preparing students with life skills?
- Some have argued that college should be funded by decreasing prison funding.
- Some have argued that public college should be funded by eliminating funding to (students attending) private colleges.