I have several thoughts about this topic, many of which have already been raised. To the extent that there are sides, I certainly see where there is some validity--especially experientially--on all sides. I also work in a setting with many learners who would be first generation college students, were they to attend post-secondary. Some stray thoughts:

1. Contrary to expected or common educator practice, I have been known to actively discourage academically capable students from attending college--until they have a clear purpose and motivation for doing so, principally because of the cost, and likely debilitating debt burden. Go only if you know why.

2. I strongly encourage those for whom it is likely to be a financial hardship (or impossible) in particular to take advantage of programs such as those ithat exist in several states, to attend the first two years in a community college, and then transfer into a state college or university. In some states, transferring with a high enough GPA and/or an AA degree can get you the last two years, in a four year college, at community college tuition.

3. Unfortunately, by and large, the demand for programs such as those I've described often either exceeds supply, or, on the opposite end, they are insufficiently publicized to the population that would most benefit from them.

4. And then there are all those other communities, without these programs.

Oh, and on another note, one of our attempts as a secondary setting to level the playing field consists of no-cost netbooks for every student, which they take with them at graduation, and ample practical instruction in the use of technology in education and employment. Though one could hypothetically use only school and public library computers to complete college coursework, it would be quite challenging for anyone without substantial time to spend on campus, which seems likely to be incompatible with working many hours while attending school. Actually, we've found that an additional challenge for our students is lack of access to reliable, inexpensive internet. Though libraries do help a little with this one, that only applies during daytime hours.

And on another, moderately related topic, there is also the question of unsustainable business models among post-secondary institutions, both public and private, and their interaction with tuition schedules and student fees.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...