Originally Posted by Quantum2003
I live in a major metropolitan area and the hypothetical numbers provided by sanne feel alien to our local reality.
I agree, however please recall that sanne originally declined to provide numbers specifically for that reason: "Every region will have different costs of living, which is why I'm not claiming that all can do it and trying to not clog the thread with numbers which may be completely irrelevant to others. Which is why I've chosen to not provide the type of evidence you wish to see."

this affordability/escalating costs crisis is impacting even secondary education (high school & perhaps middle school to a lesser extent). My younger kids are in 9th and I am astounded at the amount of money I have to spend for their public school education on all the extras that are often not really optional.
Agreed. Taking a close look at your local public school budget can be very eye-opening: seeing what your tax dollars are funding, supporting, investing in, and paying for.

jobs are not as accessible/compatible with the simultaneous pursuit of higher education these days. According to some placement professionals I consulted a couple of years ago, college students are having a harder time finding jobs (outside their work study jobs) and it is even harder for high school students.
Agreed. Especially for students seeking work which may provide some semblance of experience in their chosen field. The economy is contracting, as jobs move overseas and/or become automated. In this old post, the College Board Trends in Education report reveals [i]10-18 years to pay back student loans, whole career to last 40 years[/i] (2013).

Also to graduate in four years, students sometimes need to take summer classes...
Agreed. Depending upon how credits are priced per semester, there can be financial incentive to take more credits per semester, and due to when classes are offered it may behoove a student to take summer classes.