Originally Posted by indigo
Originally Posted by Dude
"Relevant activities" can mean many things
For clarification, in the context of this discussion, what does it mean to you?

Obviously anything that fosters discussion and promotes awareness would be a relevant activity - anything from this thread to writing your Congressman, organizing protests, participating in brainstorming sessions, etc.

One thing that stands out to me in this is that, as we've discussed elsewhere in this forum, far too many institutions are carrying bloated debt rolls because of expenditures on things that have nothing to do with the mission of education, with the most extreme example being the lazy river. It seems like, rather than continuing to escalate tuition and expenses, that could be resolved in bankruptcy court. Sure, investors might take a haircut, but that's investing, win some/lose some, and the smart investor should have known better than to buy a bond to finance that.

Another solution that seems obvious is NCAA sports, where there's an arms race in spending, yet outside of the top ten institutions, colleges are bleeding red in this area. Cut those programs (or perhaps spin them off into a private entity), and you've got a lot of money back in the pot that actually educates people.

Next, there's clearly a severe bloat in most administrative positions, and there's an opportunity for streamlining.

Granted, if I were running this, I'd put some of those savings back into teachers, because the excessive use of adjunct professors has come at a significant cost to quality.

Once I was done with those measures, I'd balance the books and see where I'm at, and formulate next steps.