Originally Posted by Dude
If you're participating in the medical insurance market at all, then as a fellow rate-payer, you are requiring me to help finance your treatment, without asking. That's how insurance works.

And as illustrated in this analogy, that's a lot smarter than adopting an every-man-for-himself philosophy. Civilization is built on such cooperation and mutual support.

On the contrary, your participation in any insurance program is optional, I force you to do nothing.

What is "smart" for your may not be "smart" for me. I shouldn't have the option to make you fund what is smart for me, especially when I have other options.

On a side note, the U.S. military has a whole bunch of openings for employment with the side benefit of paying for your college tuition and teaching valuable leadership and discipline qualities. As a tax payer I'm already funding that option. If one isn't willing to invest in themselves, I fail to see where it's my responsibility to invest in them in their place.

At 18 you're an adult, you become your responsibility at that age, responsible for your actions and responsible for your own well being. You stop being the responsibility of society. At this point, anything you receive from society is a gift and should be of free will.

Last edited by Old Dad; 04/19/18 12:15 PM.